Amani Kenya’s cafe is known all over Nairobi for delicious sweet treats. Check out the Amani Kenya recipe for the Kilimanjaro Cookie! The white peaks of this majestic cookie get their name from the snow-capped summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro, visible from Nairobi, Kenya on a clear day. Guarantees to instill warm feelings of distant grandeur when paired with friends and a cup of chai tea!
Kilimanjaro Cookie Recipe
* we obviously recommend fair trade for all ingredients when possible! Try your local health food store or Whole Foods!
1 cup Butter
1 & 1/3 cups brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon sale
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 egg yolks
4 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flower
2 cups macadamia nuts**
2 cups chopped white chocolate bar or chips
2 cups coconut**
**coconut can be omitted or substituted with extra flour and coconut extract, if necessary if there are allergies. The macadamia nuts can be omitted as well!
1) In a large bowl, beat butter until fluffy.
2) Add sugars, salt, and baking soda. Mix until combined.
3) Mix in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined.
4) Mix flower until combined.
5) Stir in coconuts, nuts, and white chocolate.
6) Put on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes, or till just turning golden brown. Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes.
Be sure to grab your fair trade baking gear at amaniafrica.org!
All of these images (with the exception of the 1st) were taken by Amani Chattanooga Photographer/Event Planner, Molly Gardner.