We’re looking for a summer intern!
Amani DC is seeking a Marketing Intern who will work closely with staff to support marketing initiatives, including social media, brand management, and product-specific promotion. The Amani DC staff will be available to guide, set deliverables, and check progress as a means of supporting the Marketing Intern’s work and project(s) serving Amani as a self-sustaining, not-for-profit organization.
Amani ya Juu (meaning “peace from above” in Swahili) is a sewing, marketing & training project for marginalized women in Africa. The Amani DC center is an extension of the Amani ya Juu family, seeking to develop skills and sustainability for all who participate while providing support to sales and communication for the wider Amani family.
Position: Marketing Intern
Status: Full-time summer intern @ 35 hours per week, unpaid
Location: Amani DC office (3166 Mt. Pleasant St NW Wash, DC 20010)
Reports to: US Marketing and Development Associate
Responsibilities will be tailored to specific needs and interest, but may include:
- Online Marketing
- Use new and creative techniques to enlarge and engage Amani’s social media followings
- Brainstorm and test ways to increase Amani’s web presence and drive more traffic to site
- Implement Search Engine Optimization techniques
- Find ways to feature Amani on blogs, fair trade sites, women’s empowerment groups, etc.
- Create email marketing campaigns to be used throughout the year
- Brainstorm/research ways to create a more dynamic experience for those exposed to Amani’s marketing/communications materials
- Resource Development
- Collaborate on potential Amani photo shoot
- Create tools for volunteers to generate interest in their sales (posters, ads for Amani sales, text for newsletters/evites/listserves, etc.)
Website & Online Shop Support
- Online Shop Product Management
- Contribute to product photography, product upload, and product maintanence for the Online Shop
- Website Development Support
- Assist with website overhaul project
- Add content as needed
- Update & refesh content as needed
The Marketing Intern will plan, carry out, and evaluate a summer marketing project in collaboration with Amani’s current marketing initiatives.
- Assess Amani DC’s existing marketing tools, techniques, and small & large scale initiatives
- Create a proposal and implement a plan to develop a sustainable project to bolster Amani DC’s marketing
- Work with Amani staff to set a timeline for goals and check-in times regarding the progress/development of the project
- Evaluate the success of project and techniques employed upon finishing internship
- Based on experience, offer recommendations of sustainable ways for the Amani DC team to continue growing marketing
- Provide customer service to customers in shop as needed
- Welcome customers and share about the mission and products of Amani
- Assist customers with prices, finding products, questions, and purchase
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills, including effective time management and prioritization of competing demands
- Strong written communication skills
- Graphic design and/or photography experience, Search Engine Optimization knowledge, Content Management System (back-end website and blog management) familiarity, and online marketing experience are a plus
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Breanne Wroughton, US Marketing & Development Associate, at breanne [at] amaniafrica [dot] org.